POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.binaries.images : Bullet : Re: Bullet Server Time
14 May 2024 00:05:07 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Bullet
From: Dave Blandston
Date: 18 Mar 2010 18:00:01
Message: <web.4ba2a16f9f521821cba3fb0f0@news.povray.org>
> The shape looks good. But shouldn't the material be different? Pointed
> projectiles made of (or coated with) a soft material such as copper
> doesn't make any sense to me (I'd expect something like steel, maybe
> with a core of lead), and I always thought the cartridge casing would
> typically be made of brass.
>
> Good-looking copper though. What settings did you use?
>
> Area light could do with a smaller size (or further away) - the shadow
> seems unnaturally soft for that small distance between bullet and wall.

Thanks! I see that I made at least two major mistakes with the casing texture. I
added a slight granite normal to the casing, and made the specular highlights a
little too dull. My errors made it look like plastic. I think the military may
have painted their brass cases green. Here are the reference photos I used:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/7.62x39mm

The copper is from metals.inc. It's T_Copper_3D without any modification.

You're right about the lighting. I get excited about using POV's cool features
and oftentimes I overdo it a little.

The shape of the bullet was very tricky for me. I'm trying to get a feel for the
curve types available with the lathe object (it would be great if the b_spline
type was available!!!) That's about as good as I could get the bullet to look.
I'll work on it some more...

I always appreciate your helpful comments!

Regards,
Dave Blandston