POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.advanced-users : Batch multi-core rendering server wrapper for povray : Re: Batch multi-core rendering server wrapper for povray Server Time
30 Jun 2024 02:15:02 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Batch multi-core rendering server wrapper for povray
From: Stephen Pope
Date: 25 Feb 2010 03:05:02
Message: <web.4b862eddf0ee27f65c2e077e0@news.povray.org>
A few extra notes to the pov-render driver program:

1. The program is "straight" C++ with no GUI; it compiles on Unix/Linux, MacOSX
and MS-Windows with std C/C++ libraries (or cygwin/DOS). The actual povray
command location is a #define in the code.

2. Macro #multithreaded is normally not used; each renderer task runs a single
thread.

3. pov-render can be run from make, shell/batch scripts, or a scripting language
like python or Smalltalk.

4. Partial batches can easily be restarted by editing the frame_num file (and/or
Makefile) and running make again.

5. The default in/out files are Default.pov and Default 0001.png (#define in the
code). These are changed either by compiling a version for each scene, or using
the -i and -o cmd-line options in the Makefile.

Enjoy! (I currently have it running on 30 or so cores here at UCSB -- since
October.)

stp

"Stephen Pope" <stephen [at] HeavenEverywhere [dot] com> wrote:
> Hello all,
>
> I'd like to share a useful utility I developed for running povray on a set of
> scripts in parallel on multi-core servers. It's a simple C++ program (*nix &
> MacOSX) that can be run in parallel from makefiles to render successive frames
> of a scene with many threads of povray.
>
> The source code is at:
>     http://FASTLabInc.com/pov-render.cpp
>
> Here's the header of the source.