POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.binaries.images : Metallica Logo : Metallica Logo Server Time
26 Apr 2024 14:01:02 EDT (-0400)
  Metallica Logo
From: Dave Blandston
Date: 17 Feb 2010 22:10:00
Message: <web.4b7caf14e1d5063fcba3fb0f0@news.povray.org>
Hi everyone,

One of the first things I made with POV-Ray version 1.0 back in the early '90s
was the Metallica logo. It was really messy (I didn't know about coincident
surfaces yet...) so recently I decided to redo it and clean it up. I ended up
with a new scene and here it is. The concept is related to the song "For Whom
the Bell Tolls," which is about a five-man special forces team.

Please feel free to criticize anything that might be wrong with this scene...

Known problems: The scene is kind of "busy." I'm not sure what can be done about
that. The scale of the cloth weave on the flag is way too large, but I'll adjust
it for the final (large) render. I've always assumed the song was about the
Vietnam war, so the camo doesn't match the type that probably would have been in
use under those circumstances ("Tiger stripe,") but since there's no specific
reference to which war the song is about I fudged for artistic preference.

Notes: The background is very dark. There are three shades of brown in the camo
- tan, medium, and dark brown. On LCD monitors without good contrast the dark
brown actually looks like medium brown. It should be about the color of dark
chocolate. The camo texture is supposed to be ballistic nylon. The extra face is
Cliff Burton ("Men of five, still alive...")

Regards,
Dave Blandston

Post a reply to this message

Attachments:
Download 'metallica logo [camo].jpg' (230 KB)

Preview of image 'metallica logo [camo].jpg'
metallica logo [camo].jpg