POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.beta-test : memory problem with radiosity : Re: memory problem with radiosity Server Time
3 Jul 2024 16:23:43 EDT (-0400)
  Re: memory problem with radiosity
From: Ken Willmott
Date: 14 Feb 2010 12:30:01
Message: <web.4b78329aa32fb1c6a1983ea0@news.povray.org>
When I removed the crackle function from my main project, all the problems
disappeared. Memory remained stable, slightly less than 2.0GB. It will be a
painful loss, since it made such beautiful rock surfaces. I guess I will end up
using something like bozo+wrinkles instead.

It is my impression that virtual memory is useful mostly to make memory
management easier, rather than to increase the working memory capacity. It can't
work with 100% physical memory allocated because of excessive disk swapping. I
think this is a fundamental constraint that is common to all OS, whether it is
Windows or Linux or whatever.

So, in this case, the issue is only that what should have only been a painfully
slow render in physical memory, which some users might have found an acceptable
price to pay for a certain effect, became instead a full-blown failure of the
OS. If there is some way in that case, to limit the expansion of memory or exit
with an error, it would probably be better.

I also realize that with beta versions, the development issues are diverse and
priority is correctly given to primary design features above error and UI
issues.

Thanks, everyone for the help! I can now continue with my project, and I have
other radiosity questions which I will move to the other newsgroup.