POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : All about splines : Re: All about splines Server Time
4 Sep 2024 11:19:00 EDT (-0400)
  Re: All about splines
From: Reactor
Date: 12 Feb 2010 13:10:00
Message: <web.4b75995b4a0aa089f226a7060@news.povray.org>
Invisible <voi### [at] devnull> wrote:

> 100 control points, you use them to control several dozen independent

> effort, I have yet to determine how you can construct such a set of
> splines from the control points so that the final curve appears smooth
> and joinless.

If you wanted to smoothly join spline1 and spline2:
1)the endpoint of spline1 must be in the same location as the start point of
spline2
2) the last control point of spline1, the endpoint of spline1/start point of
spline2, and the first control point of spline2 must be co-linear.

The discontinuity is caused by the change in slope between the control points
and their respective endpoint.  Note that the line between a control point and
its nearest endpoint form a line that has the slope of the curve at the
endpoint.  If you make the slopes of the two adjacent splines different, then
they do not connect smoothly.

-Reactor