POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : District 9 (minor spoilers) : Re: District 9 (minor spoilers) Server Time
4 Sep 2024 13:16:44 EDT (-0400)
  Re: District 9 (minor spoilers)
From: Kenneth
Date: 26 Jan 2010 09:30:00
Message: <web.4b5efb10e932f17165f302820@news.povray.org>
Warp <war### [at] tagpovrayorg> wrote:
> I succeeded in avoiding all possible spoilers about this movie, so I had
> no idea what it was about (with the exception of "something about aliens,
> so I suppose it's some sort of scifi").

I did the same--and was very pleasantly surprised at how good a film it turned
out to be. Even the basic set-piece of the film is non-standard (Aliens landing
in the slums of South Africa?? Not exactly the cliche location of Los Angeles or
New York, where these types of stories usually take place.) What I enjoyed most
was the development of the plot line, a thinly-veiled social commentary--"There
are aliens (foreigners) in our midst, we don't like them here, they need to go."
With the rather clueless 'bad guy' (hero?) finally changing sides. (Although, I
came away feeling that this character really *didn't* change his overall racist
philosophy--circumstances just made it necessary.)

This is one of the few 'effects' films I've seen where the effects--as good as
they are--take a back seat to the story and characters. I don't remember seeing
even one effects shot that was unnecessary or for its own sake. A very
well-balanced and memorable film, worth seeing again.

Ken