POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.newusers : Creating and using DF3 (for dummies^^) : Creating and using DF3 (for dummies^^) Server Time
7 Jul 2024 08:21:22 EDT (-0400)
  Creating and using DF3 (for dummies^^)
From: angura
Date: 18 Jan 2010 13:50:01
Message: <web.4b54ac80b56d22966f5548f0@news.povray.org>
Hi there!

As a warning in advance: I'm a pretty inexperienced Povray user, that has only
done the typical tutorial-like stuff up to now.
However, I've seen pretty amazing things done with the DF3 density files, which
I want to use to visualize some potential landscapes of certain molecules. What
I eventually want to do, is to input a certain array of coordinates and (somehow
scaled to that integer values up to 255) potential values, which then should be
converted into such a DF3 file. That I want to use to produce "cloud-like"
structures with different colors (similar to here:
http://www.stanford.edu/~fenn/povscript/df3.html)

Is that possible and are these steps at least in principle correct?
I spend all day looking for some kind of "easy" tutorial, but wasn't all that
succesfull :(
I found some DF3 maker tools, but I still haven't understood that DF3 format and
its usage completely. Searching these newsgroups I found the hint, that the beta
version somehow has an "ARRAYS_WriteDF3" macro in the arrays.inc.
However my knowledge is unfortunately not big enough, to know how to use this :(

I'd be really glad, if someone could help me understand and use this very
promising feature of povray.

greetz angura