POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : textures.inc : Re: textures.inc Server Time
30 Jul 2024 02:15:33 EDT (-0400)
  Re: textures.inc
From: PM 2Ring
Date: 18 Jan 2010 05:45:00
Message: <web.4b543ae47585bcdf4c648ed0@news.povray.org>
"Thomas de Groot" <tDOTdegroot@interDOTnlANOTHERDOTnet> wrote:
> "Sabrina Kilian" <ski### [at] vtedu> schreef in bericht

> That is indeed the syntax. A texture is layered thus by successive textures,
> the first being the lowest, until a new declaration is met. Of course,
> transmit and/or filter are needed in the latter textures to make the layers
> visible, but you know that of course :-)
>
> I agree that it may seem odd as one expects some kind of wrapping as in most
> if not all code, but there it is.
>
> Thomas

This syntax is an archaism that POV-Ray inherited from DKBTrace. I guess it's a
bit unsettling at first, but I don't see any major reason to change it, and even
if new syntax were added to wrap layered textures into a single unit, we'd want
the old syntax to be retained for a while, for use in existing scene files &
macros. And because layered textures don't have any form of wrapping, I suspect
that it would be a bit tricky to write a script to convert the current syntax
automatically without the script being generally aware of POV SDL syntax.