POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : Problems with media density : Re: Problems with media density Server Time
30 Jul 2024 02:20:42 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Problems with media density
From: Kenneth
Date: 16 Jan 2010 06:30:01
Message: <web.4b51a0f166d8840b65f302820@news.povray.org>
David Given <dg### [at] cowlarkcom> wrote:

> Can anyone shed any light on this? Right now I'm completely stumped.

As others have mentioned, such problems usually occur when the samples value is
simply set too low. (Also noted:  Only 1 interval is recommended for method 3,
which will then create more intervals automatically, as-needed.) BTW, the
documentation's stated defaults for intervals and samples are incorrect. The
real defaults (at least for method 3) are: intervals 1, samples 10.

I find it strange that even 1000 samples doesn't improve things for you. How
about changing jitter to some *higher* value, like 2? I confess that I don't
usually mess with jitter in media, and leave it at its default (whatever that
is!) Perhaps a too-low jitter value is causing the banding, by not allowing the
media to 'spread out' across intervals. (My assumption is based on jitter in
photons--lowering the jitter value *there* does produce distinct photon bands.)

As far as how media jitter affects animation:  I don't really know; haven't yet
animated any clouds. (A good experiment to try.) But I suspect that it would
look OK, IF the samples are high enough, and if the media density pattern has
smooth transitions, as yours does. Just a guess.

My own approach to making clouds like this is to make lots of *individual*
clouds instead (in their own spheres.) Not as difficult as it sounds, using a
#while loop (with random turbulence for each cloud's density.) I *think* the
scene might render faster as well, for two reasons: the camera doesn't have to
look through an entire large media-filled sphere; and the samples value can be
much lower per cloud.

Ken