POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Okay how *do* you design airport security? : Okay how *do* you design airport security? Server Time
4 Sep 2024 15:23:44 EDT (-0400)
  Okay how *do* you design airport security?
From: gregjohn
Date: 13 Jan 2010 07:10:00
Message: <web.4b4db6fb3692b92a34d207310@news.povray.org>
Any ideas on how to design a truly secure airport?  To me, it seems like all of
the inconveniences have been specifically designed with a cynical intent to
avoid lawsuits, not necessarily to actually make things secure.

Could a smart person design something actually secure that doesn't account for
human rights and privacy [*], then could we see a path back to something that
*is* humane and workable?

______________
[*] I guess there's two kinds of utilitarianism, and here I'm advocating the
second type below:

I) "The redneck inspired" kind, where the state seeks self interest and gets to
do anything to preserve its existence. For example, torturing dissidents and
suspected associates of terrorists is seen as inevitably necessary in order to
preserve order.

II) "The Amnesty International inspired" kind, where the state seeks self
interest with a fear acting brutally. This is based on a knowledge that
torturing dissidents and suspected associates of associates of terrorists,
inevitably, by some law of human nature, ultimately makes a state less secure.
(You get false info, create even more dissidents, and radicalize the
mild-mannered associates.)  Here, human rights is not a universally sought after
good but a necessary tool for survival of the state, if grudgingly applied.

So, in this proposal for a human-rights-free airport security, torturing every
passenger for 2 minutes to see if they are planning something bad is rejected,
not because it's viewed as counterproductive under "A.I.-inspired
utilitarianism".