POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.binaries.images : Postprocessing camera (d)effects with POV-Ray : Re: Postprocessing camera (d)effects with POV-Ray Server Time
22 Jun 2024 23:15:30 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Postprocessing camera (d)effects with POV-Ray
From: Edouard
Date: 28 Dec 2009 15:30:01
Message: <web.4b39141c6a3a44f0639ae1e00@news.povray.org>
Jaime Vives Piqueres <jai### [at] ignoranciaorg> wrote:
> Yes... again, I started something else before finishing the latest project.
>
> And as usual, it started with something innocent: I was looking at the
> terrific entries on the 3dRender.com Lighting Challenge, and I noticed one
> of them had a subtle chromatic aberration effect that looked very
> convincing. I was trying to emulate it with The Gimp, when I figured it
> would be not difficult to do it within POV-Ray, with the help of screen.inc.
>
> As the chromatic aberration did work nicely, I tried to simulate other
> camera defects: distortion, vignetting, blue-channel noise, dust on the
> lens... I was like possessed by Sam Benge, and nothing seemed too difficult,
> so I tried next some effects: bloom and cross screen filter... anyone wants
> any other specific (d)effect? :)

Oh wow - that's fantastic!

My suggestions/requests

Film Grain - add slightly blurry noise to the image, where amount of grain is
modulated by the image (add a little for black, more for dark to medium areas, a
little above medim areas, and none for the bright parts).

Digital sensor blow-out - make very intense pixels go white (e.g. if the pixel
is <4,0.1,0.5>, make it <1,1,1>). Needs an HDR input source. Digital sensors do
this; I actually much prefer the deep saturation you get with film in this
regard, but it's a useful thing to emulate, as people are very used to seeing it
these days.

Cheers,
Edouard.