POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : Keyframe animation libraries : Re: Keyframe animation libraries Server Time
30 Jul 2024 08:21:36 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Keyframe animation libraries
From: Kenneth
Date: 27 Dec 2009 12:55:01
Message: <web.4b379db6bff2cc6865f302820@news.povray.org>
Alain <aze### [at] qwertyorg> wrote:

> What do you exactly mean by "keyframe"?
>
> [clip]

> What the others refers to looks to me more like reference frames or step
> frames.

Yes, that's what SharkD is referring to--a particular 'set' pose every now and
then--say, every tenth frame--which the computer then interpolates between, to
fill in the gaps. I *think* the term 'keyframe' is a holdover from the early
days of cartoon animation, where the most highly-skilled (or highly-paid!)
animator would draw the 'key' poses, then hand those drawings off to so-called
'inbetweeners' who would create the connecting drawings--the in-between poses.
In a sense, those secondary artists were human interpolators.

Ken