POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.binaries.images : rendering height fields with overhangs : Re: rendering height fields with overhangs Server Time
23 May 2024 06:39:39 EDT (-0400)
  Re: rendering height fields with overhangs
From: Kenneth
Date: 19 Dec 2009 15:25:00
Message: <web.4b2d3604ce3532365f302820@news.povray.org>
stbenge <UN### [at] hotmailcom> wrote:
> Hello,
>
> Here's a method for slicing a height_field into many pieces and
> translating/scaling the parts to create caves and overhangs. It renders
> faster than an isosurface...

Once again, you've come up with some magical sleight-of-hand! (Your POV code
creations are coming so fast, I can't keep up with them!) I was hoping someone
might come up with a method for producing HFs with overhangs. Kudos to you!

Results so far just astound me; it's one amazing tool. (I haven't yet tried Tor
Olav's version; just noticed it.) In the short time I've been playing with your
version #3 code, there seem to be endless shapes it can produce (by varying this
or that parameter.)  Yeah, I'm experimenting with some of your code, adding
things here and there, doing everything I can to break it (!) just to see what
will happen--then putting it back together, of course. :-) I continue to
'examine' the code to see how it operates, and what exactly it does. Seems like
voodoo at present.  :-p

BTW, a question about one of your #while loop lines:
hfs_pv=hfs_function(0,hfs_V,0).x

Any particular reason why you used .x (i.e., .red) rather than .gray?  Just
curious.

Your slicing method shows GREAT promise, so by all means continue with its
development. I foresee *many* uses for your technique.

Ken