POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.advanced-users : Ambient Occlusion : Re: Ambient Occlusion Server Time
1 Jul 2024 05:37:45 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Ambient Occlusion
From: nemesis
Date: 17 Dec 2009 20:15:01
Message: <web.4b2ad75327e91db97295bfc90@news.povray.org>
"arblick spule" <aspule> wrote:
> How do?
>
> Though I'd chuck my two-pence into the ambient occlusion struggle with POV.
>
> After looking and playing with radiosity solutions for AO, I found the results
> to be lacking something.  It didn't really square up to the proper AO offered by
> the more expensive renderers.

AO is nothing more than a fake GI method.  It doesn't take light into
consideration, only how far geometry is from each other to affect occlusion.
This way, it might occlude in shadow some parts even if it was entirely under
direct light.  That means it's truly fake and does not correspond to reality.

May be nice to get some more contrast, but that extra contrast may have no
correspondence in real life.