POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.advanced-users : Ambient Occlusion : Ambient Occlusion Server Time
1 Jul 2024 05:40:56 EDT (-0400)
  Ambient Occlusion
From: arblick spule
Date: 17 Dec 2009 17:15:01
Message: <web.4b2aac82e5d8b9b7b5d84fdc0@news.povray.org>
How do?

Though I'd chuck my two-pence into the ambient occlusion struggle with POV.

After looking and playing with radiosity solutions for AO, I found the results
to be lacking something.  It didn't really square up to the proper AO offered by
the more expensive renderers.

So I was thinking that the AO pass is really just white objects that collect
light from a whole load of angles to give a nice approximation of occlusion.
Thus, armed with a trusty dragon model, I tried simply rendering (in this case)
350 frames with one light source rotated about the main object.  I then averaged
these frames using Image Stacker and multiplied the AO output with the textured
render.

Seems to work, but take bleedin' ages!

Standard render
    http://i53.photobucket.com/albums/g69/aspule/DragonNoOcc.jpg