POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : POV-Ray in Challenge #21: The Bedroom : Re: POV-Ray in Challenge #21: The Bedroom Server Time
30 Jul 2024 02:28:04 EDT (-0400)
  Re: POV-Ray in Challenge #21: The Bedroom
From: Reactor
Date: 10 Dec 2009 00:55:01
Message: <web.4b208ce08fd451f863b9ac3d0@news.povray.org>
> Robert McGregor wrote:
>
> > Hi all, I just saw over at Jeremy Birn's lighting challenges site (he's the
> > lighting/rendering technical director for Pixar) that there's actually a POV-Ray
> > scene included as part of this month's rendering challenge
>
> if anyone is interested to play with this but doesn't want to
> work with a single 76MB pov file (sort of impractical), I just
> hacked a little perl script to extract the individual object
> geometries and texture definitions to separate inc files:

Greatly appreciated, but the problems with the scene are actually even worse
than that.  Some objects are not labeled, almost all have the same texture
declarations, and it is using a union of smooth_triangles instead of a mesh or
mesh22.  There are also A LOT of degenerate triangles and a few other odd
things.  I don't know what exporter was used, but it must be pretty old (the
specified language version is 3.1!).

Anyway, I wound up downloading the obj file and opened that with wings.
Massively slow at first, but I am in the process of splitting it into separate
files, which will let me organize the includes better.

-Reactor

P.S. As can be expected, the z axis is flipped in this scene as many modelers
use the left hand system instead of the right hand.