POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.bugreports : Transmit issues : Re: Transmit issues Server Time
14 May 2024 06:19:12 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Transmit issues
From: Dave Blandston
Date: 9 Dec 2009 01:55:00
Message: <web.4b1f4900cdc500c7deaebe110@news.povray.org>
Alain <azerty [at] qwertyorg> wrote:

> In both cases, when the end is inside the plane, you have one less
> surface to traverse. It's normal that the tint is not the same.
>
> In the non-radiosity case, the light is to one side, so that the
> illumination is not the same. What you see is as expected.
>
> In the radiosity case, you use "recursion_limit 1" whitch is not enough.
> If you use recursion_limit 2, the black areas disapears. You realy need
> recursion_limit 3 to have good result. You need to change your "sky
> with: pigment {color White }finish{ambient 1 diffuse 0}
> Otherwise, it gets REALY to bright as the plane illuminate the sky.
>
> If you expect the colour to depend on the thickness of the object, you
> need an interior where you define a fade_color, fade_distance and
> fade_power. Without that, only the surfaces affect the resulting coloration.
>
> Unrelated: assumed_gamma in the global_settings is been phased out and
> will not be supported in future versions. It's beter to NOT use it and
> only rely on the effective illumination level. Instead, you should rely
> on the gamma settings from the main ini file, and NOT change it for a
> given scene.
>

> Alain

/* This might be a duplicate posting - I don't see the first one even though the
message counter incremented. Sorry if this gets double-posted! /*

Thank you, I appreciate the helpful information. I re-rendered the test scene
using recursion_limit 2 and 3. The dark areas on the plane AROUND the cylinders
did indeed disappear, but the dark area causing the "bottoms" of the cylinders
to appear black remained. I still think there is a problem with the way
radiosity and transmit (also filter) interact. I'm reasonably sure that if one
had a real cylinder made of a clear material and placed it near a white object,
there would not be any dark ring like we see in these images.

I tried using interior. Without radiosity a mostly-transparent object looked
great, but adding the radiosity caused the dark ring to appear again. I'm not as
experienced at using interior so I'm probably doing something wrong.

Regards,
Dave Blandston