POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.binaries.images : Strange attractors : Re: Strange attractors Server Time
28 Sep 2024 11:13:31 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Strange attractors
From: Bill Pragnell
Date: 8 Dec 2009 04:20:01
Message: <web.4b1e1987e6b3a3e06dd25f0b0@news.povray.org>
LightBeam <seb### [at] gmailcom> wrote:
> I Really love "barbwire"...

Yes, I like that one too - looks like the Sorting Hat from Harry Potter!

>How did you code these ?

The equations can be found here:

http://www.chaoscope.org/doc/attractors.htm

Using different coefficients in these equations produces different attractors
(although most combinations don't produce an attractor - you need to 'search'
random combinations of coefficients to find interesting shapes). Each new point
is calculated from the previous point, and the attractor is built up point by
point. It's just a matter of storing those points and plotting them, either as a
2D projection, or in 3D.

I wrote a java app some time ago to search for and plot attractors, but I had to
rewrite the plotting in C++ (for speed) to get data files that I could then read
into POV-Ray.

Bill