POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.binaries.images : Strange attractors : Re: Strange attractors Server Time
28 Jun 2024 02:54:39 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Strange attractors
From: Bill Pragnell
Date: 8 Dec 2009 04:15:01
Message: <web.4b1e17e7e6b3a3e06dd25f0b0@news.povray.org>
Alain <aze### [at] qwertyorg> wrote:
> You could output as DF3 file and render as an isosurface. You also could
> render those as media. It can be worth a try.

That was the first method I tried. However, the df3 is very wasteful since most
of the volume is empty. Furthermore, the df3s for these examples would be at
least 512MB each! During testing at ~100x100x100, I found that generating,
reading in and rendering a df3 was much slower than the method I'm currently
using for a volume 64x larger.

I'm using a 3d vector<bool> to store the volume during iteration, then only
write out the voxel coordinates that were hit. That way, memory usage and file
size is at a minimum and I throw away all the empty locations. Unfortunately, I
also throw away the cumulative information, but it's very quick to iterate so
I'll probably come back and do something with it in future.

Bill