POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.binaries.images : Strange attractors : Re: Strange attractors Server Time
23 Jun 2024 15:36:24 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Strange attractors
From: Bill Pragnell
Date: 7 Dec 2009 04:10:01
Message: <web.4b1cc63ee6b3a3e06dd25f0b0@news.povray.org>
"Dre" <and### [at] gmailcom> wrote:
> Really, they are WOW images to me :)

Thanks! It's just a shame they don't look as good at higher resolutions.

> I'd love to know some more about how you did this!

Most of the work is done externally, I'm really only using POV-Ray to plot a
dataset and do pretty lighting. I used some of the equations given on the
Chaoscope website (http://www.chaoscope.org/doc/attractors.htm), originally in a
Java app (the quickest way I knew to implement some sort of gui at the time).
Basically, if the orbit doesn't collapse or escape within a few hundred
iterations I plot it properly for inspection. Most of these turn out to be
mundane, but every now and again an 'interesting' one crops up. At this point I
save the equation coefficients in a data file.

Java is entirely unsuitable for iterating 1e8 points over a 30+ coefficient
dynamical system, so eventually I wrote a simple tool in C++ to do some proper
plotting from the saved coefficients, and (optionally) to write a text file full
of vectors suitable for reading from POV-Ray SDL.

Add some random lights using the data file as a seed, and away we go...

:)