POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Trivial trigonometry : Re: Trivial trigonometry Server Time
5 Sep 2024 07:27:03 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Trivial trigonometry
From: Bill Pragnell
Date: 30 Nov 2009 08:55:01
Message: <web.4b13cdfb6ad665b96dd25f0b0@news.povray.org>
"scott" <sco### [at] scottcom> wrote:
> > This is a pretty awesome photo of the whole thing:
> >
> > http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:Deathvalleysky_nps_big.jpg
> >
> > Not exactly what you'd see with the naked eye but it gives you the idea.
>
> I always wonder how they get these type of photos.
>
> I mean this must be a pretty long exposure to get that detail?  But since
> the Earth is rotating, either the ground or the sky is going to get motion
> blurred.  Is this a photoshop of two images, or can they really get a photo
> like that in one shot?

I'm not sure. The fact that it's a nearly-complete panorama makes it even more
complicated - I guess it must have been unwrapped from a fisheye.

I'd think it was a single shot. I bet you could get away with up to a minute of
exposure, and it's very wide angle so any movement would be less noticeable.

Any expert photographers here want to comment?