POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Trivial trigonometry : Re: Trivial trigonometry Server Time
5 Sep 2024 05:24:32 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Trivial trigonometry
From: Bill Pragnell
Date: 30 Nov 2009 07:15:01
Message: <web.4b13b6596ad665b96dd25f0b0@news.povray.org>
Invisible <voi### [at] devnull> wrote:
> But where do you have to go? Outer Mongolia?

Well, I bet the skies are great there(!), but at least 50 miles from a large
town or city would do in the UK. Simply making sure you can't see an artificial
light source directly by eye will make a big difference. Coastline works well
because you've only got to worry about distance from towns in half as many
directions. Wilderness such as moorland or mountains works best of course
(although steep hills will obstruct part of the sky), but I'm sure you could
find somewhere suitable within a short drive of MK. Also, winter is best because
the cold air holds less moisture and is therefore clearer. Try to make sure the
moon isn't up either, it can produce a surprising quantity of light pollution,
especially when full!

Oh, and pick a cloudless night ;-)