POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.binaries.images : 'Accidental' isosurface : Re: 'Accidental' isosurface Server Time
23 Jun 2024 15:49:17 EDT (-0400)
  Re: 'Accidental' isosurface
From: PM 2Ring
Date: 29 Nov 2009 23:15:01
Message: <web.4b134639ce81d185f4c648ed0@news.povray.org>
Tor Olav Kristensen <tor### [at] TOBEREMOVEDgmailcom> wrote:
> PM 2Ring wrote:
> > Tor Olav Kristensen <tor### [at] TOBEREMOVEDgmailcom> wrote:
> >>
> >> You can find some code in this thread:
> >
> > Thanks, Tor Olav. I'll have a look at it when I wake up. :)
>
> I see from your answer to Fredrik that it is not Marching Tetrahedrons you're after,
> so what I linked to is probably not relevant for you.
>
> --
> Tor Olav
> http://subcube.com

That's OK. Once I had a look at the code, I realized it wasn't Marching
Triangles, but decided to try it out anyway. The meshes it produces do look
better than Marching Cubes, but of course it is very slow on large data sets,
being in POV SDL rather than C. Especially with recursion depth of 3 or more.

FWIW, in one of my tests I got an error message from POV saying that a normal
vector can't be <0,0,0>.