POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.binaries.images : 'Accidental' isosurface : Re: 'Accidental' isosurface Server Time
28 Sep 2024 11:10:27 EDT (-0400)
  Re: 'Accidental' isosurface
From: PM 2Ring
Date: 27 Nov 2009 20:50:00
Message: <web.4b1081b2ce81d185f4c648ed0@news.povray.org>
Warp <war### [at] tagpovrayorg> wrote:
> PM 2Ring wrote:
> > I found the Marching Cubes C code
>
>   AFAIK the Marching Triangles algorithm produces meshes of much higher
> quality than Marching Cubes.
>
>   Marching Cubes tends to produce randomly-sized triangles and very thin
> triangles whose size is in no way related to the shape, and it doesn't
> take into account the curvature of the surface being tesselated.
>
>   Marching Triangles, on the other hand, produces nice about
> evenly-sized triangles for surfaces with the same curvature, and does so
> adaptively, ie. producing smaller triangles at high curvature places and
> larger triangles at low curvature places. The end result (when eg.
> rendered as a wireframe) tends to look a lot more pleasing.

That sounds great, Warp. But after over an hour of searching for Marching
Triangles code, I haven't located anything yet, not even pseudocode. :( Do you
have any suggestions for where I should look? I have found some articles in PDF
format, but I haven't downloaded any of them to check if they contain source
code.