POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : High-color problems : High-color problems Server Time
30 Jul 2024 02:26:34 EDT (-0400)
  High-color problems
From: Anthony D  Baye
Date: 24 Nov 2009 05:30:00
Message: <web.4b0bb58a40c511a44b39a3180@news.povray.org>
I'm working on a small experiment with 3d color-space, and it seems to be
working perfectly, it renders beautifully, but when it saves, the png files have
a truncated color table.  It's quite distressing.

I've had no obvious trouble with other renders.

Also, my jpeg output seems to be broken, and the render results are completely
different in windows 7.

I am using beta 34 under windows 7 and Fedora 11 on a Fujitsu Lifebook t5010.
So far as I know I have all the proper libraries downloaded in Fedora, I just
rebuilt the beta with libSDL.

My scene code is as follows:.

camera {
    location <3.5, 5.0, -10.0>
    up y
    right x*(image_width/image_height)
    look_at 0.0
    }
//light_source { <3.5, 5.0, -10.0> color rgb 1.0 }

#declare r = function(x,y,z,rho) { rho*cos(atan(y/x))*sin(acos(z/sqrt(x*x +
y*y))) }
#declare g = function(x,y,z,rho) { rho*sin(atan(y/x))*sin(acos(z/sqrt(x*x +
y*y))) }
#declare b = function(x,y,z,rho) { rho*cos(acos(z/sqrt(x*x + y*y))) }

object {
    sphere { 0.0, 3.0 }
        hollow on
        pigment { rgbft 1 }
        finish {
            ambient 1
            diffuse 0
            }
        interior {
            media {
                intervals 1
                scattering { 1, rgb 0.1 }
                samples 30, 50
                emission rgb 0.6
                density {
                    function { r(x,y,z,1) }
                    color_map {
                        [0.0 rgb 0]
                        [1.0 rgb <1,0,0>]
                        }
                    }
                }
            media {
                intervals 1
                scattering { 1, rgb 0.1 }
                samples 30, 50
                emission rgb 0.6
                density {
                    function { g(x,y,z,1) }
                    color_map {
                        [0.0 rgb 0]
                        [1.0 rgb <0,1,0>]
                        }
                    }
                }
            media {
                intervals 1
                scattering { 1, rgb 0.1 }
                samples 30, 50
                emission rgb 0.6
                density {
                    function { b(x,y,z,1) }
                    color_map {
                        [0.0 rgb 0]
                        [1.0 rgb <0,0,1>]
                        }
                    }
                }
            }
    }

I ran the same scene under both Windows and Linux using the same settings each
time +a0.3 +FN24 +W800 +H600

Fedora renders the image beautifully, properly blending the three channels, but
the save file only retains a fraction of the color-depth.

Windows saves exactly what it renders, but most of the color is just gone. The
center of the color-space turns solid black, and the most vivid waves of color
that show in the Fedora render are gone as well, leaving only some smudges in
the primary and secondary zones

A.D.B.