POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.binaries.images : 'Accidental' isosurface : Re: 'Accidental' isosurface Server Time
28 Sep 2024 15:12:06 EDT (-0400)
  Re: 'Accidental' isosurface
From: abram
Date: 22 Nov 2009 11:15:01
Message: <web.4b096336ce81d1854861b0db0@news.povray.org>
"waggy" <hon### [at] handbasketorg> wrote:

> I modified the (illegal, but still renders) recursive function formulation
> posted by Warp and managed to get a straight SDL isosurface.  This is the result
> of six iterations.  The render time isn't too terribly bad if you can find a
> good combination of accuracy and max_gradient.  Due to the object's fractal
> nature, the reported maximum gradient doesn't help, though.

So is this a function that you have defined within povray for the isosurface or
are you using a df3 file?

Instead of fiddling with user-definable functions within povray I added a new
function to povray's fnintern.cpp which allowed me to render mandelbulbs with
povray.

The patch:
http://softwareprocess.es/x/x/mandelbulb/fnintern.cpp.patch

How I call it:
http://softwareprocess.es/x/x/mandelbulb/mandelbulb.pov

And a description of how I got here:
http://softwareprocess.us/index.cgi/Mandelbulb

I really think the functional approach is superior to the voxel approach since
getting 1000x1000x1000 voxels is time consuming and space consuming.

But if you did define your own function in isosurface I'd love to see it.

abram

Post a reply to this message

Attachments:
Download '1povaa.640480.png' (182 KB)