POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : 3D modelling in the 70's : Re: 3D modelling in the 70's Server Time
4 Sep 2024 19:19:34 EDT (-0400)
  Re: 3D modelling in the 70's
From: nemesis
Date: 19 Nov 2009 19:40:01
Message: <web.4b05e48a29ec6466d67de7120@news.povray.org>
> nemesis wrote:
> > I have to say the interface -- rotating dials and pen for data input -- were
> > quite advanced for the time.
>
> It still looks easier than Blender!  ;-)

I could use a real dial around rather than just the mouse with alt or ctrl for
everything.  At least the tablet I got alright. :)

> Two minutes a frame? Wow. And "Asteroids" was just a couple years later.

Now this is something I didn't quite get:  the video shows a complete (though
"lowpoly") wireframe deathstar and the guy says it's rotating it with the dial
in real time.  Then he says each frame of the "trenches", which do not look that
much more complex than the deathstar model, took 2 minutes to render...