POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Modern Linux desktops suck : Re: MS Windows Server Time
5 Sep 2024 09:21:51 EDT (-0400)
  Re: MS Windows
From: Bill Pragnell
Date: 18 Nov 2009 04:35:01
Message: <web.4b03bee8145bbe846dd25f0b0@news.povray.org>
"scott" <sco### [at] scottcom> wrote:
> > I saw a demo of a drag-and-drop idea I've been lusting after ever since.
>
> What I really miss in Windows which was the norm on the Acorn GUI was to be
> able to drag-n-drop to *save* a file from an application.  Quite often I
> find myself having the explorer window open of some folder deep on our
> network drive and I want to save my document in there.  On the Acorn you
> could just click save and drag the file icon to the explorer window, but on
> Windows you have to navigate in the save dialog to the folder, copy&paste
> the path name into the save box, or save to the desktop and then move it in
> explorer.

You could even 'save' the file in this manner into another open application. For
example, a graph program would save a standard vector-graphics file, but if you
wanted to use the graph directly you'd just 'save' it staight into your
document processor window and it would be inserted at the caret.

In fact, RISCOS's drag-and-drop was standardized and integrated to a degree I've
not seen in any OS GUI since. Any file could be dropped into any filer
window or any application window, or onto the taskbar or the application icon
(obviously it was up to the application to deal with it sensibly - but 99% of
them did). And this was 20 years ago. :)