POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Modern Linux desktops suck : Re: MS Windows Server Time
5 Sep 2024 01:24:18 EDT (-0400)
  Re: MS Windows
From: Bill Pragnell
Date: 17 Nov 2009 09:00:00
Message: <web.4b02ab51145bbe846dd25f0b0@news.povray.org>
Invisible <voi### [at] devnull> wrote:
> First, clicking on a window brings it to the foreground. You migth say
> "well how else could it possibly work?" But back in the days of AmigaOS,
> clicking a window gives it focus, but doesn't actually raise it to the
> top of the screen.

My single biggest gripe with every modern windowing gui. Acorn's RISCOS also had
the feature you describe. Maybe it's just the workflow habits I got into back
then, but to this day I am continually vexed by MS's windows jumping to the top
of the stack as soon as you glance at them.

> (On the other hand, under AmigaOS, if the raise and lower buttons are
> obscured, you can't raise or lower the window, which is arguably far
> more annoying.)

Under RISCOS, clicking any window control (including the titlebar) brought it to
the front.

> Also, which moron decided that clicking something twice on the task bar
> should minimize it? I never *ever* want this to happen!

I find that one handy - it's a much bigger target than the minimise icon! :)