POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Iterated derivatives : Re: Iterated derivatives Server Time
5 Sep 2024 03:24:17 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Iterated derivatives
From: Bill Pragnell
Date: 16 Nov 2009 10:05:01
Message: <web.4b016904f50de6a96dd25f0b0@news.povray.org>
Invisible <voi### [at] devnull> wrote:
> I'm not sure they teach calculus *currently* in schools. Then again, I'm
> not sure because I didn't attend a normal school... I think in this
> country, if you want to learn about mathematics (not just arithmetic),
> you have to take a special course. I think it's outside the normal
> school curriculum.

Depends what you mean by 'school'. Derivatives (including the chain rule!),
integrals, and even differential equations were all on the maths A-level
syllabus that I did (I would hope that they still are!). I did my A-levels at
school, but I think many people go to college to study A-levels if their school
does not offer them.

Note that an A-level college is usually *not* the same thing as a university
(cue lengthy debate on schooling ages/terminology in different countries!).

> (Or you're an academic, which nobody is.)

I believe there are many regular posters here who might disagree with that! :-)