POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Computers are fast : Re: Computers are fast Server Time
4 Sep 2024 21:18:00 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Computers are fast
From: nemesis
Date: 14 Nov 2009 13:15:01
Message: <web.4afef2ce3487ce7f4ff148100@news.povray.org>
> http://prog21.dadgum.com/52.html

I know that guy, he's from the lambda-the-ultimate web forums. :)  He also
mentions magnificent Infocom implementor Brian Moriarty of Trinity's fame, so
that's 10 geek points to him.

While he does put the python version to run 1000x over the Basic version, he
doesn't acknowledge the difference between 1984 hardware and, say, a P4.  Yes,
undoubtedly any interpreted language nowadays is faster than old, line-by-line
intepreted Basic, but I guess not by the insane numbers he purports.  Put that
qbasic to run that program on the same hardware as Python and let's talk... 5
points taken. :)