POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : Realtime stereoscopic reproduction of pre-rendered images : Realtime stereoscopic reproduction of pre-rendered images Server Time
30 Jul 2024 04:22:08 EDT (-0400)
  Realtime stereoscopic reproduction of pre-rendered images
From: Paco
Date: 14 Nov 2009 01:00:01
Message: <web.4afe465e2c5273264c0c26d80@news.povray.org>
Hi all,

I'm currently working on a little side project and I could use some help if
anyone's interested.

I have a Vuzix VR920 headset (tracking + display) and there's a real lack of
games/software that do it justice. I've been working on a way to reproduce POV
scenes in a realtime stereoscopic format - ie, so that I can look around with
the headset and get the full 3D experience.

Ie, all of the standard raytracing effects (caustics, radiosity, refraction,
etc) displayed in realtime.

Here's an example of what i'm talking about:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9bdgtdJqUnU

With the headset on it's amazingly immersive. It currently supports pre-defined
paths - so you can walk around in the scene.

Anyway, as I said it's a side thing i'm working on and i'm at the stage where I
could use some help polishing it up and getting ready to release it as a beta.
It's all currently progammed in Java (I just find it quicker to develop) and
uses OpenGL.

If anyone has any suggestions about where to take it from here let me know!