POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Lame-O public school library wifi : Lame-O public school library wifi Server Time
4 Sep 2024 21:25:08 EDT (-0400)
  Lame-O public school library wifi
From: gregjohn
Date: 10 Nov 2009 23:30:01
Message: <web.4afa3d27521266bc34d207310@news.povray.org>
I went to a district Cub Scout meeting that met in a public school library.  I
thought I'd check my email, maybe even do my note-taking in Google Docs.  No
could do.

It frigging blocked gmail! It blocked the server for my home ISP email!

http://10.6.0.8:81/cgi/block.cgi?URL=http://gmail.com/&IP=10.6.8.36&CAT=WEMAIL&USER=IPGROUP&CE=0

http://10.6.0.8:81/cgi/block.cgi?URL=http://www.youtube.com/&IP=10.6.8.36&CAT=RRATED&USER=IPGROUP&CE=0

but it allowed Yahoo!

Why? If there were a legitimate concern for child safety, I could see the point
of blocking youtube.  But Yahoo! is probably a gateway to more junk than google,
and is gmail really a
concern?

If it were a case of vendor lock-in, I'd be seriously ticked if I were a
taxpayer and parent in that school district.  How intelligent an IT department
would choose to lock-in to Yahoo!?