POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Swell. : Re: Swell. Server Time
5 Sep 2024 23:12:59 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Swell.
From: Bill Pragnell
Date: 10 Nov 2009 09:00:00
Message: <web.4af970c3a6cd6566dd25f0b0@news.povray.org>
Invisible <voi### [at] devnull> wrote:
> >> Also, as I mentioned, millions of films seem to assume that an EMP only
> >> affects devices which are turned on. (E.g., War of the Worlds, only one
> >> working car because it wasn't turned on. WTF? Then again... War of the
> >> Worlds. WTF?)
> >
> > Well, IIRC, it was never explicitly stated that an EMP was responsible for that.
>
> No. Just that the power went out and everybody's car except our hero
> stopped working due to an ignition fault.

Yes. Everything electrical that was on at the time stopped working. Nobody said
EMP though. Maybe the filmmakers were well aware of what an EMP would actually
do, and deliberately made it different, coincidentally echoing the common
hollywood mistake.... yeah I doubt it too ;-) But still, nobody said EMP.

> Well, each to their own. All it seemed to be able is "hey, humanity
> sucks, maybe Earth would be better off without us".

Hmm, I didn't get that at all.