POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Question about imperial units : Re: Question about imperial units Server Time
5 Sep 2024 03:23:07 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Question about imperial units
From: gregjohn
Date: 8 Nov 2009 07:35:01
Message: <web.4af6baae6b2fafbc34d207310@news.povray.org>
"Jeremy \"UncleHoot\" Praay" <jer### [at] questsoftwarecmo> wrote:

> I just wonder if writing it as "100 ft^2" could possibly be (mis)interpreted
> that way.

In verbal conversation with non-engineers, who knows.  In engineering notation,
no.  I'm old enough to have had my co-op (intern) experience with a firm that
worked and thought exclusively in Imperial Units (I think back then they were so
arrogant as to call them Engineering Units). I was schooled exclusively in SI in
college.  I think once I was asked to perform an engineering calculation, and
made a mistake when I insisted on converting to SI first and then back to
British. That one group didn't ask me again.