POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Largest POV image? : Re: Largest POV image? Server Time
8 Oct 2024 19:18:49 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Largest POV image?
From: mone
Date: 24 Oct 2009 21:55:00
Message: <web.4ae3afac3743c5293d6448520@news.povray.org>
"TC" <do-not-reply@i-do get-enough-spam-already-2498.com> wrote:
> Hi, there!
>
> I wonder how large a povray rendered image can be?
>
> While 1280x1024 fits on an A4-page nicely at 150 dpi, what about renders at
> higher resolutions? What are the limits?
>
> What is the largest image you have rendered and how long did it take?

I think it was 24000x16000 , can't remember how long it took, though. But
possibly no longer than 30 hours. I have rendered 20000x15000 images quite a few
times (rendertime between 8 and about 25 hours, I think). I do not need them
exactly in that size, but sometimes I only need a part of the image (because
there is much free space around the objects which renders fast of course) and I
sometimes don't know how to put the camera so that it's zoomed in while
maintaining the exactly same perspective. So I cut a part off the image of
later. Another reason for the big images is, that sometimes the antialiazing is
not good enough, so I resize it to a smaller size with a graphics program after
rendering which is much quicker and IMHO even looks better than using a better
antialiasing and time consuming AA setting in POV.
When I use some focal blur I always render the image 2-3 times bigger than I
need with low quality settings, and then downsize it later, because the focal
blur gets more smudged and realistic, I think.
I wouldn't render images in such size with any media or such, because that takes
so long even for small images.
I always have to switch display=off when the image size is more than about
12000x9000 because of the lack of RAM.

I have not much experience with radiosity. If I recollect it correctly the
calculated values are somehow attached to the object and can be stored in a
file? So it possibly doesn't matter much when the image size is increased with
radiosity? Maybe the experts can say more about this :).

When estimating the total render time it also helps me a lot to render some
sample regions (with this "render region" option) both with many objects and
less, and then dividing the final (planned) resolution by the average pps and
again by 3600 which then gives the supposed total render time in hours.

Regards,

Simone