POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : Searching for old scene (watch, book, time & space allegory) : Re: Searching for old scene (watch, book, time & space allegory) Server Time
30 Jul 2024 04:14:34 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Searching for old scene (watch, book, time & space allegory)
From: Pete
Date: 23 Oct 2009 22:05:00
Message: <web.4ae2609b8304cdc06268d6380@news.povray.org>
"katanga" <fru### [at] gmailcom> wrote:
> Kevin, Jaime, you put me on the right track, here it is... 1997-09-24

ftp://ftp.informatik.uni-hamburg.de/pub/soft/graphics/povray/Hall-Of-Fame/pcktwtch.zip

> I am not into raytracing really, but I remember compiling POV on that Unix
> System V Olivetti box, http://www.storiaolivetti.it/upload/lsx_5030.jpg  and
> being really impressed as the scene was rendered, it took a while... kudos to
> JK Odhner! and thanks to both of you.

Funny you were looking for that same scene. A few weeks ago I started playing
with the POV 3.7 (supports multi-threading on multi cores) and I have had a
copy of the Pocketwatch. Last night and tonight I spent a couple of hours and
brought the Scene Description op to date. Most of the issues were with the way
colors and other properties were assigned in Textures. If Interested I can post
an updated version.

Another note, performance. A note in the earlier post says it took 40 hours
(144,000 seconds), on my machine 330 Seconds. For a 440x speed-up.

I am running
Core i7 920
Asus P6T
6 Gb Ram, 2Gx3|OCZ OCZ3P1600LV6GK