POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : Photon problem: 'pixelated' caustics : Re: Photon problem: 'pixelated' caustics Server Time
30 Jul 2024 04:12:45 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Photon problem: 'pixelated' caustics
From: Bruce Mardle
Date: 23 Oct 2009 05:55:01
Message: <web.4ae17d577c755ea4ffeda3610@news.povray.org>
Thanks, clipka.

Actually, I'm using Moray, which, as far as I can tell, always outputs bicubic
patches with "type=1". Fortunately, I can tweak the .POV file on its way from
Moray to POV-Ray.

Moray's default for the patches is type=1, u_steps=v_steps=3, flatness=0.01. I
get much better, and near-identical, results using either type=1,
u_steps=v_steps=5, flatness=0 or type=0. (The latter's somewhat slower.) Photon
spacing=0.01, either way.

If I use photon spacing=0.001, the caustics get sharper, as expected, but I also
get a fairly subtle 'ripple'. It'd be nice to get rid of that, but I can live
with it. (Curiously, the output is equally ripply with photon spacing=0.002.)

Spacing=0.01:
http://c2.ac-images.myspacecdn.com/images02/88/l_d0210a72b0f24dbdbeb58c3d6f9f5bf5.png
Spacing=0.001:
http://c3.ac-images.myspacecdn.com/images02/104/l_2c4db7de4cf24bfa8df38a41ab2b0352.png