POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Bad science fiction : Re: Bad science fiction Server Time
5 Sep 2024 07:26:07 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Bad science fiction
From: Bill Pragnell
Date: 19 Oct 2009 15:50:01
Message: <web.4adcc24548067d0f5ebcf7fb0@news.povray.org>
> Bill Pragnell wrote:
> > Not the only one! Wormholes have been discussed in the journals for a couple of
> > decades now.
> I meant in terms of "warp drive", the one scientists are talking about is
> making a bubble of space and moving that using gravity techniques.

Ah, right, sorry.

> I haven't heard of any serious scientific progress in
> hyperspace travel.

:-D

> > a rehash of Niven's The Smoke Ring).
>
> There was one I read, I don't remember what it was called, something with
> giant cat aliens in it.... Anyway, they could go FTL, and coming out, they
[snip relativistic battleships]

Interesting. Reminds me a little of the relativistic space combat featured in
Banks' The Algebraist (but cleverer). Also reminds me of some of the shenanigans
in the fourth and final Ringworld novel, which I also only read recently.

> Yeah. I have a hard time finding new authors on Amazon. Especially someone
> (like Jim Butcher) doing stuff that's good but that I wouldn't normally
> expect to be good.

Just wikied him. He doesn't look like my bag, but I'll keep my eyes open :)

> > (I read A Fire Upon the Deep for the first time last year - probably the best SF
> > I'd read for a long time!)
>
> It was way funny back when it was written, given that all the aliens
> complaining about slow netnews bandwidth was right on the money.

I was just blown away by the Tines' group minds... and then even more by the
concept of the radio links to increase range. Superb.