POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Bad science fiction : Re: Bad science fiction Server Time
5 Sep 2024 19:24:15 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Bad science fiction
From: Bill Pragnell
Date: 17 Oct 2009 17:45:00
Message: <web.4ada3a7a48067d0f4fa0e6c80@news.povray.org>
Warp <war### [at] tagpovrayorg> wrote:
> Btw, can anyone recommend *good* sci-fi movies? Preferrably hard science
[snip]

I think Sunshine is a great movie, but is at odds with your list of criteria. In
Sunshine, it is strongly implied that we can control gravity without using a
centrifuge. I think this is more unlikely than FTL travel and the existence of
extraterrestrial life, at least as far as our current understanding of physics
is concerned! I realise that it's not a major plot point, but still.

Also:
>   (The alien in the movie of the same name *counts* as plausible because
> it does nothing supernatural or physically implausible.)
.... apart from growing to full human-size from cat-size within days without
apparently ingesting any organic matter? (weak point, I know, but it's always
bothered me on some level).

I take it you're also not counting post-apocalyptic action fare such as Mad Max?

Anyway, here's a few off the top of my head:

You didn't mention 2010, the sequel to 2001. It's a lesser film in many ways,
but has some cracking detail in it and moves the story on well.

Contact is excellent, but does have aliens and FTL travel (albeit permitted by
general relativity).

Event Horizon has some great SF in it, as long as you also don't mind the
Hellraiser storyline that evolves alongside it!

Deep Impact is flawed, and widely maligned, but is surprisingly intelligent
given that it was competing with Armageddon the year it was released.

Cube is good.

Cypher is interesting (by the same director as Cube).

I really like Serenity, although it's certainly not SF by Darren's definition!

Strange Days is superb, but does feature one item of technology that may be a
little far-fetched depending on your area of expertise.

I shall ruminate further.

:)