POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Bad science fiction : Re: Bad science fiction Server Time
5 Sep 2024 19:26:32 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Bad science fiction
From: Bill Pragnell
Date: 17 Oct 2009 08:45:00
Message: <web.4ad9bbba48067d0f4fa0e6c80@news.povray.org>
"Stephen" <mcavoys[at]aolDOTcom> wrote:
> "Bill Pragnell" <bil### [at] hotmailcom> wrote in message
>
> > Ever read any Iain M Banks? His characters are diverse and fascinating.
> > His SF
> > often borrows heavily, but usually feels new.
> >

> Have you read any of Ken Macleod or Charles Stross (whose blog started this
> thread?)

I have. Of Macleod, I've read the Engines of Light trilogy, and The Star
Fraction. Enjoyed both, but wasn't completely gripped. I need to re-read them
more sedately I think. Of Stross, I've only read Halting State so far, which I
thought was great. I'll definitely be reading more of his in the near future.

I think their SF is better than Banks', but I still prefer his stories and
situations for sheer excitement and page-turning power.