POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : input/output file : input/output file Server Time
30 Jul 2024 04:12:52 EDT (-0400)
  input/output file
From: esterichia
Date: 16 Oct 2009 09:20:01
Message: <web.4ad872742aad556549aa3f520@news.povray.org>
I would like to read data (float or vectors of float) from an ascii file and use
the data as coordinates for the geometry in the scene: some spheres connected by
cylinders.

I tried with the following code and an input file with a sequence of floats.
The problem is that some data in the input file are not read (I checked with the
#write): sometimes every second float is read, sometimes there is no regular
pattern. Moreover, sometimes the minus sign is not read.
(I got a similar error with vectors of floats)

Am I doing something wrong or is there a bug in the I/O functions?

I'm using povray-3.6.1-12 on ubuntu 9.04 but I get the same error in windows
both with 3.6.1 and 3.6.2.

Thanks
Ester

#fopen inputfile "in.dat" read
//#fopen outputfile "out.dat" write

  #if (defined(inputfile))
    #read (inputfile, y1, y2, y3)
  #end

  #while (defined(inputfile))
    #declare x1 = y1;
    #declare x2 = y2;
    #declare x3 = y3;

    #read (inputfile, y1,y2,y3)

    sphere { <x1,x2,x3>, 0.3  pigment {color Green}}
    #if (!(x1 = y1 & x2 = y2 & x3 = y3))
      cylinder { <x1,x2,x3>, <y1,y2,y3>, 0.1 pigment {color Red}}
    #end

//    #write (outputfile, x1, " ", x2, " ", x3, "\n")
  #end

#fclose inputfile
//#fclose outputfile