POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Bad science fiction : Re: Bad science fiction Server Time
8 Oct 2024 22:15:21 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Bad science fiction
From: Charles C
Date: 15 Oct 2009 23:30:00
Message: <web.4ad7e7d848067d0fcac4259f0@news.povray.org>
> http://www.antipope.org/charlie/blog-static/2009/10/why_i_hate_star_trek.html
>
> If you can still tell the story without the technology, it's not SF.

When he talks about scripts containing "tech the tech", I think this could be
called literary greebling.  Greebles do not detract from an object's main role
in a scene unless the entire substance of the object are the greebles
themselves*.  If a SF story has nothing more than "literary greebles" setting a
certain style, then I agree, it's less of "true SF" and more of conventional
story telling in a relatively arbitrary setting.

*in some application other than a greebling demonstration.

Charles