POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Bad science fiction : Re: Bad science fiction Server Time
8 Oct 2024 22:16:27 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Bad science fiction
From: gregjohn
Date: 15 Oct 2009 07:55:01
Message: <web.4ad70d5f48067d0f34d207310@news.povray.org>

> Indeed. And I think most people would rate both the Illiad and the Island of
> Dr Moureau as speculative fiction if not sci fi in the latter case. :-)

I've been reading some of those 19th century tales.  It is interesting that
there is a very different feel to "20,000 Leagues" than a typical 60's scifi
novel.  In the older works, the authors are all about amazement at the grandeur
before them. In the latter ones, everyone is jaded about how society's worst
problems came along with them to Mars or the moon.

I am preparing a DVD compilation of public domain books.  I chose to make the
access on the virtue of "genre", and I put Verne and Wells in with the old sea
tales, not with the 1930's scifi.