POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Bad science fiction : Re: Bad science fiction Server Time
5 Sep 2024 09:20:09 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Bad science fiction
From: gregjohn
Date: 14 Oct 2009 20:35:00
Message: <web.4ad66d8348067d0f34d207310@news.povray.org>
"Captain Jack" <Cap### [at] comcastnet> wrote:room there.

> Also, I'm not sure "Devil In The Dark" is the best example of the point...
> the only important technology to the plot were A) what the miners were
> digging for, and B) the silicon cement used to bandage the Horta. If the
> creature were found in a Welsh coal mine in 1872 and one of the government
> folks sent in to investigate were a telepath, you could tell the same story.
> I think if you gave a logical enough explanation for how a silicon based
> life form could exist (and in Wales, no less) and let the telepathy go as an
> unexplained-but-taken-for-granted miracle (as it is in Star Trek) it would
> be still be science fiction. No gadgets, but still scientific.

Or you'd have the same theme if they went on a sailing ship to a faraway island,
found strange beastly apparitions that later turned out to be sentient men, and
then the ship's doctor's tobacco miraculously cured the chieftain of some
disease.