POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : My chickens and the cost of cheap food : Re: My chickens and the cost of cheap food Server Time
5 Sep 2024 07:20:52 EDT (-0400)
  Re: My chickens and the cost of cheap food
From: gregjohn
Date: 8 Oct 2009 07:25:01
Message: <web.4acdcb8dd3f3ad9234d207310@news.povray.org>
"Jeremy \"UncleHoot\" Praay" <jer### [at] questsoftwarecmo> wrote:
> Since I started raising and selling chickens, I've become more and more
> aware of the so-called "industrial food system" in the U.S.

Once was driving on the state highway through rural southeast Virginia. There
was a detour. We had to make a 2-mile jog at 5 MPH through some barely-paved
roads.  We came across this one establishment.

There were a few buildings that were painted the most depressing shade of gray.
Everything looked like a movie set for concentration camp barracks. Eventually
it dawned on me that I was on a FARM. And that these were probably makeshift
residences for migrant farmworkers who weren't there now.  The whole "graphic
design" of the place had a look and feel of trying to be as unwelcoming as
possible.

Anyway, I often wonder what the people there are like. It would be interesting
to know what kind of stories would be told by religious clergy meet with the
people who lived.  It would be interesting to hear what kind of philosophical
chats the owner would have at his local club.