POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Google stereotypes : Re: Google stereotypes Server Time
5 Sep 2024 11:26:11 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Google stereotypes
From: Bill Pragnell
Date: 25 Sep 2009 04:30:00
Message: <web.4abc7e71722922326dd25f0b0@news.povray.org>
"triple_r" <nomail@nomail> wrote:
> I really do
> think estimation is an undervalued skill though.  The ability to stand there,
> figure out orders of magnitude in your head, and come up with some quick
> approximations can save a lot of time blindly pursuing totally inappropriate
> methods.  That sounds obvious, but it's really remarkable how completely some
> people lack basic problem-solving and analysis skills.

My physics course at university included a weekly 'workshop' slot in the
teaching. Among other things, this focused on estimating order-of-magnitude
answers to complicated yet unspecific problems, using nothing but basic physics
formulae from memory, sensible guesses for data and paper & pencil for
calculation. Questions like 'how much water might be vaporised if an asteroid
hit the ocean?'

In hindsight, it was probably one of the most valuable skills I was taught in
that degree programme.