POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : Complex HDRI mapping : Re: Complex HDRI mapping Server Time
30 Jul 2024 04:15:56 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Complex HDRI mapping
From: Trevor G Quayle
Date: 18 Sep 2009 08:20:00
Message: <web.4ab37ae76b287d3d81c811d20@news.povray.org>
"Anthony D. Baye" <Sha### [at] spamnomorehotmailcom> wrote:
> I have some scenes with complex lighting models that render terribly slowly, I
> would like to find alternative lighting options for these scenes.
>
> Does HDRI lend itself to this sort of thing?
>
> Fake Lighing, any suggestions?
>
> I need reflection, refraction and media effects.  Am I stuck with traditional
> lighting and week-long renders?
>
> I saw some experiments with progressive re-rendering of Radiosity images, a
> while back.  Any suggestions, ideas?
>
> Regards,
>
> A.D.B.

If you are looking for overall scene lighting and are familiar with HDR light
probes, you can try my lightdome macro:
http://news.povray.org/povray.binaries.scene-files/thread/%
3Cweb.46488bca4e05d400c150d4c10@news.povray.org%3E/

As it use .hdr format light probes, you need either megaPOV or the 3.7 betas (it
hasn't been tested extensively in 3.7, but it does seem to work as intended)

-tgq