POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : Complex HDRI mapping : Re: Complex HDRI mapping Server Time
30 Jul 2024 04:11:25 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Complex HDRI mapping
From: Edouard
Date: 17 Sep 2009 19:45:00
Message: <web.4ab2c9ec6b287d3dc527f2e20@news.povray.org>
"Anthony D. Baye" <Sha### [at] spamnomorehotmailcom> wrote:
> I have some scenes with complex lighting models that render terribly slowly, I
> would like to find alternative lighting options for these scenes.
>
> Does HDRI lend itself to this sort of thing?
>
> Fake Lighing, any suggestions?
>
> I need reflection, refraction and media effects.  Am I stuck with traditional
> lighting and week-long renders?
>
> I saw some experiments with progressive re-rendering of Radiosity images, a
> while back.  Any suggestions, ideas?
>
> Regards,
>
> A.D.B.

Can you describe the scene in more detail? Are the light internal or external to
the visible parts of the scene? How do the complex elements (you mention
reflection, refraction and media effects) interact with each other, the scene
elements and the lighting?

There may be ways of faking the scene that would give similar results to a
"real" render, but it really depends on the scene itself.

Cheers,
Edouard.