POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.beta-test : About no_radiosity and radiosity off : Re: About no_radiosity and radiosity off Server Time
5 Oct 2024 14:56:38 EDT (-0400)
  Re: About no_radiosity and radiosity off
From: MDenham
Date: 16 Sep 2009 20:55:00
Message: <web.4ab187d8c26aab57cf39c48a0@news.povray.org>
> How about something like
>
> illuminated_by {
>    group_lights   yes
>    global_lights  yes
>    radiosity      yes
>    photons        no
> }
> affects {
>    radiosity      yes
>    photons        no
>    shadows        no
> }
>
> /That/ is something I'd call logical and obvious. But it would obviously
> involve changing more than just radiosity-related stuff, and require
> introduction of even more new keywords, and therefore I'd suggest to
> postpone that to POV-Ray 4.

The way 3.7 is going, I halfway expect it to be renamed 4.0 around beta 50. :-D

Snarky one-liner aside, I'd say that introducing this into 3.7 - and then
deprecating the old syntax for 4 - would probably be the best way to handle it.
 Just because we're looking down the barrels of a major version number change in
the (hopefully not too distant) future doesn't mean that introducing new items
to the syntax needs to hold off (god knows enough stuff gets introduced at
non-x.0 versions with new and/or different syntax).

My (probably unwanted) opinion, your mileage may and will vary depending on
radiation pressure on your windshield, etc.